Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Plans set for their arrival!

Well it's been a while since I last posted here, but I want to correct that today with this post. My family and I are still getting settled into our new lives here in Laramie, Wyoming. Things are looking good too. Our careers have finally taken off. What does that mean for my VWs? That they need to join the VDub Geek Garage up here in Wyoming! 

During my winter break from work (perks of working for a school district), my wife and I sat down to discuss our 2018 plans and goals. After a lot of discussion and analyzing, we have decided that my brother and I are going to be heading down to southern California this June. Our mission is to clear my storage unit, load up both the Bug and the Imp, and relocate everything back to Laramie!

We are going to drive down in my Flex with a co-workers' car trailer. After we get there, we'll pick up a U-Haul truck with trailer. All of my "stuff" that currently resides in storage will be loaded into the U-Haul, the Bug will be loaded on the U-Haul trailer, and my Flex with trailer will get the lighter Imp. This will close this chapter and start a new chapter with my VWs with me. I'm looking forward to being to wrench on my VWs, to drive them around town, and to bring one to my VW club events.

Of course I will be taking photos on this journey and I will be sharing them on Instagram and my other social media platforms. It is going to be so exciting and I can't wait!

-- the VDub Geek

Friday, January 12, 2018

Looking at my Imp

Two changes I did to my 1970 EMPI Imp was changing the headlights for H-4s and replacing the turn signal lenses with clear models. Definitely makes it look awesome! 

Tuesday, January 2, 2018

#TBT with my DTM Type 4 conversion

#TBT to 2005 when I loaned parts of my DTM Type 4 conversion to Tiger from A-1 Performance for a display at the A-1 booth at the 2005 Bug-In, to highlight the merged conversion exhaust.

Friday, December 15, 2017

Lost Bug photos!

I was doing some digging around on my old workstation and came across this photo. 

This is probably from 2005-2006, when I was first getting into photography. Man I am really looking forward to getting her up here and running! 

Saturday, November 25, 2017

License plates galore!

And so it has started... 

I still have a few plates from California to add to my collection in the garage. The Alaska plate came from my mother-in-law's recent Alaska cruise. The black Wyo plate is from my birth year, the Wyo plate with Devil's Tower looks cool, and the last one is from my Flex driver.

Wednesday, November 22, 2017

EMPI GT Spyders!

As my friends know, my Bug is still in California. During our last trip to California, my brother and I spent a day checking up on the Bug and going through the VW parts in storage. Among the various future projects we came across was this trio of original two-piece EMPI Sypder (8-spokes).

Of course I'm going to need another wheel before I can think of restoring them, but they are a start!

Sunday, November 19, 2017

Introducing the WyoLook!

For many decades I've been a big fan of the "Cal-Look". especially the VWs from the DKP III and the DKK. Since I didn't have the funds to actually do the work or purchase parts, I laid out the plans to transform my Bug to a Cal-Looker.

Last year (2016) I moved from southern California and set up homestead in the beautiful southeast Wyoming. Life is very different from SoCal and I'm going to make some adjustments from the conventional Cal-Look formula. The fact is Wyoming is a sparsely populated state and the next town can be an hour away, as is the case from the VW club I joined late last year.

So my focus on this car is going to be a little more focused on driveability and less on drag strip prowess. I want this car to be a car that reminds me of the Cal-Look cars that I admired, but something I drive on the highway to a club event 60 miles away.

I hope you will join me on this journey!